How to stay motivated when working from home
Working from home has a long list of benefits. You save time and money because you don’t have to commute, you don’t get mixed up with office politics, you can be more flexible with your hours and you can have your office set up however you like it.
Working on your own can sometimes mean it’s hard to get motivated however because you don’t have anyone watching over you or setting deadlines. If you work remotely or run your own business, below are some great tips for staying motivated when you work from home.
Have separate office space
It may be tempting to work from bed or the sofa, but try to set aside some separate office space where you can work properly. In order to improve productivity, this area should:
- Be free from distractions. If you can see or hear the television or other people who are home during the day, you’re going to get side-tracked.
- Have proper office equipment. Try to set your home office up just as you would if you were going into a company every day. This means a proper desk, chair, telephone, files, stationery and any other supplies you may need.
If you’re easily distracted, you’re going to jump at any opportunity to pop out the house. Whether you’ve run out of milk, you need a stapler, the printer has run out of ink or you’re hungry, prepare for any eventuality so you don’t have any excuses to procrastinate.
While regular distractions will make it difficult to get anything done, it is still important to take breaks throughout the day. When we work from home it can be tempting to go too far the other way and you may end up sitting at your desk for 10 hours without taking a break.
Allow yourself a proper lunch break so you can leave the house for a bit and there’s no harm in taking quick five-minute breaks to make a cup of tea throughout the day either.
Whether you work from home or in an office, clutter is a productivity killer. Whether you have piles of paperwork on your desk, office supplies laying around or the rubbish bin is overflowing, clutter can have a very negative impact on our productivity levels for a number of reasons:
- It limits the brain’s ability to process information and wears down your ability to focus.
- It overloads your senses which causes you to feel stressed out and anxious.
- You end up wasting valuable time looking for items which could have been located easily if you weren’t surrounded by so much mess.
- It can even have a negative impact on your health. Clutter makes it hard to clean your area properly which can aggravate allergies and asthma.
- Because clutter increases your stress hormone, believe it or not, it can even lead to weight gain.
If you’re finding it to get motivated because you’re surrounded by so much clutter, spend some time getting your office the way it should be. Anything that you can’t throw away, think about putting into self storage. This is particularly handy when it comes to things like paperwork which you can’t throw away but only need to access a couple times a year.
M-Store offers self storage for all your domestic, business and specialist requirements. To use the space calculator, find your nearest store or view our special offers, please visit our website www.m-store.biz.